The good, the bad and the simply stupid
- Vin Goat is a wonderful little shop that carries artisan and farmstead cheese and cupboard essentials. They also host lectures each weekend about their products. The other weekend Ryan’s parents went to a lecture by Anne Willan, a founder of a famous French cooking school among other culinary achievements. In her talk, Anne Willan supported the use of raw milk to make cheese (saying it made the cheese better!) AND talked about cooking with butter or lard NOT vegetable oil. All in all her lecture was apparently a Primal/Paleo eaters dream. Glad to know there are people out there supporting the consumption of raw milk and fat!
- Here is a little preview of a jump rope video Ryan is helping me making for the Under Armour Challenge. It was also part of my “do something new” workout challenge for this weekend. I’m by no means an awesome jump rope-er so this was definitely a challenge! If you want to do your own jump rope slide and send it to me, I’ll add it to the video!
- Coconut oil is about as close to a magical health pill as you get. Fat-a-phobs shy away from this oil because it contains saturated fat, but what they don’t realize is that the “saturated fat” in coconut oil is a form known as lauric acid, which has been proven to protect your heart by reducing total cholesterol and enhancing HDL cholesterol levels. Even Dr. Oz says so….WOW something he is right about!
- I like dried fruit as a treat on occasion. BUT you have to be very careful when purchasing dried fruit as many have added ingredients. Actually I was surprised by how many WEREN’T simply dried fruit when I was at Trader Joe’s. It actually is more difficult than you think to find pure dried fruit. Next time you buy dried fruit make sure you are getting exactly what you want! Read the ingredients list!
- Just another reason to take medicine! NOT! Common painkillers tied to lower skin cancer risk! Ok but to get the benefit you must take these medicines in large quantities. BUT the large quantities have proven health risks. “The drugs have also been linked to an increased risk of kidney cancer and come with known bleeding risks.” So here we have an article telling our population to take painkillers to reduce their risk of skin cancer but we still don’t know if the benefits of taking large quantities of the medicine are worth the risks that have already been linked to the drugs…Hmmm…I think I’ll pass on the painkillers…
- Every time I think Paleo/Primal is becoming more accepted I see stupid articles like this one on IndyStar.com. I can’t believe a dietitian claimed that the diet is not only low carb but also lacking in some vitamins and minerals. Uhm hello!?! When you stop wasting calories on grains, you eat more fruits and vegetables…So how can the diet be “lacking?” If it is lacking in vitamins and minerals, than what word do we use to describe the average American’s diet…Non-existant in vitamins and minerals!?! (Ok I know that doesn’t work…but hopefully you get my point.)
The Simply Stupid
- Dennis, Ryan’s brother, sent this to him. Definitely a healthy breakfast…NOT!
Ok this isn’t simply stupid…It is actually awesome…
Posted on June 3, 2012, in Cardio, Diet, Man Biceps, Play, Workout and tagged anne willan, butter, cha cha slide, coconut oil, french cooking school, full fat cheese, jump rope, nutella, painkillers, Paleo, Primal, raw milk, skin cancer, vin goat, workout. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.
Nice jump roping skillz! I *hate* jump roping because I can’t do a double under yet. For a few weeks I was so excited to learn but then I got so discouraged because I just can’t seem to get it. I am sure I will love it once I figure it out.
Have you tried dehydrating your own fruit? We got a dehydrator and made all kinds of apple rings, dried strawberry slices, fruit leathers. No added ingredients except a little squeeze of lime. So (surprisingly) good for something so simple. I really want to try pemmican – jerky w fruit 🙂
haha thanks! I’m working on them. In college I would have to jump rope for 30 minutes so I can do the basic little “shuffle” for a long time. But in terms of other tricks…well they are a work in progress. I’ve only begun to string together a few double unders and I have to jump super high to time it still.
Oh well, it is always fun to try new things!!! Try the cha cha and send me a video!!!
Pingback: Diet Essentials – 15 Staple Foods | Man Bicep