One of my clients said to me today, “You don’t believe in doing any easy exercises do you?”
Which made me ask, “What do you mean?”
She said, “You know…like curls or any non-complex moves…”
And I had to smile, because, no, I don’t really believe in doing isolation movements very often.
I want to get the most out of the time I have – and to get the most out of a shorter amount of time, you need to do COMPOUND MOVEMENTS.
Honestly I don’t believe you ever need to do isolation exercises unless you are a body builder, fitness model or someone rehabbing an injury.
They simply aren’t that functional. They don’t work numerous muscles at once. They don’t burn as many calories. And generally they are focused on smaller muscles that just simply don’t give you that much bang for your buck or even need to be worked that often or intensely.
That being said, I do believe in isolating your glutes more, but that gives you A LOT of bang for your buck and even when “isolating” your glutes often other muscles in your legs do assist.
I mean think about it….When you work your chest most of the moves also work your triceps and shoulders. So why do tricep extensions when you can work a big muscle group like your chest while ALSO hitting your triceps AND your shoulders?
Or take for instance the push up…You can work your chest, shoulders, triceps, abs, quads and even your glutes WITH ONE MOVE. Would you really rather do a tricep extension and just work your tricep?
Same goes for bicep curls.
Why do bicep curls when you work your biceps with basically every back exercise? And compound back movements like the Inverted Row hit the BIG muscles of your back to also improve your posture and prevent/alleviate neck, shoulder and upper back pain?!?
Hmm just work your biceps or work numerous muscles at once to make lots of muscles stronger while burning more fat and helping to alleviate aches and pains….
Tough decision right?!?
Also…too many people complain they don’t have time to workout.
But it isn’t that they don’t have time to workout, they just don’t have time to do some of the bodybuilding routines shown in some fitness magazines.
When working out you have to consider your goals AND the time you have.
And probably 90% of the time COMPOUND EXERCISES are the answer.
But wait…What if I want to tone this one specific trouble zone?
Uhm…well you can’t spot reduce for one so you would be better off doing a compound exercise that burns more fat and still works the muscle.
Yup…Compound movements are STILL the answer.
Are you using your workout time wisely and doing exercises that will give you the most bang for your buck?
(Another good question to consider when picking compound exercise variations and weights (and a post for another day) is, “Are you getting the most out of your workouts by actually CHALLENGING yourself?”
This month has been a whirlwind – A crazy, hectic, AMAZING time that hasn’t left me near as much time to post as I would usually like. And I’m sorry if I’ve been a little MIA and slow to respond.
But I’m excited and proud to announce that I’m officially opening The Redefining Strength Fitness Studio in Costa Mesa, California!
Before I say any more about the studio, I need to first thank all of the WONDERFUL and AMAZING people who I have in my life who’ve supported me on this new journey.
When going after your dreams, you know there are going to be people who will put you down and try to hold you back.
And you can’t let yourself listen to them. You can’t let the doubts creep in.
Going after your dreams is going to be hard. It’s going to be stressful. There will be setbacks and days you want to quit.
But no matter what, you can’t give up.
And there will be those amazing friends and family members around you to help keep you moving forward. They will question you. They will force you to work.
They will not blindly follow and agree…And that is what makes them so amazing and supportive.
They will be pushing you forward and making you better.
So before I say anything more about the studio, I want to thank all of you amazing people. I couldn’t have done this without all of your enthusiasm, encouragement and love.
SO THANK YOU!
AND NOW….The Redefining Strength Fitness Studio!
On this wonderful Monday on the last day of June, we are officially open for business! We offer both in-person small group and personal training sessions as well as online training.
We use battling ropes, sandbags, slam bagz, monkey bars, climbing ropes, sledgehammers, tires, kettlebells, sliders, slide boards, rowers, pulley systems, resistance bands, barbells, landmines, dip bars, pull up bars, sleds….And so much more in our training.
If you are looking for a personal trainer in Orange County (or small group training!), check out Redefining Strength! I can guarantee you’ll love it…Not only because I’m amazing, but because the people that I work with are the most friendly/supportive/amazing/hardworking/WONDERFUL people in the world. 😛
I’m so excited for Man Bicep’s new home and all of the great information and posts I can now provide all of you Man Bicepers with!
- Did you know that stressed is desserts spelled backwards? I just saw this the other day and I LOVE THIS FACT!
- Here is a great article about the8 People Who Will Ruin Your Attempt to Lose Weight. Do you know any people like this? I definitely know people like this..they both sabotage your diet and their own!
- Also, I’ve been looking at some article about fitness trends for 2012…I was glad to see strength training on there! But sad to see that “training for obese youth” was also a trend. This needs to change! We need a Man Bicep class for kids (which will include lots of dodgeball and climbing in trees!). 🙂
- What truly is “functional fitness?” I see a lot of different workouts being called “functional” and some of them don’t seem like they are training your body to handle real-life situations AT ALL…
- I think this may be why our youth is fat. Pizza is NOT a vegetable!
- I’m definitely guilty of trying to convince people that my diet is the best BUT I try to do it by questioning them on why they do theirs not by raving about mine (unless they ask for details of course…or I’m posting to Man Bicep!).
- I am AWESOME! 🙂 I found this link on Fit and Feminist the other day (She beat me to posting the pizza is a vegetable link too!) 🙂 and I think it makes a great point. A lot of us don’t praise ourselves enough. SO start today by saying, “I’m AWESOME!