So our gym is closed until January 1st for reconstruction. Numerous members were upset because they wouldn’t be able to workout for an entire week.
This got me to thinking about workouts you could do at home.
If you are like me, you have dumbbells, resistance bands, pull up bars, push up stands, yoga mats and a foam roller.
If you are the average person, you probably have walls, chairs, floors, towels and other household furniture and supplies.
But the average person, who doesn’t own even a single piece of equipment, can get in a great home workout just by doing these 10 moves! (The following are in no particular order…they are all awesome…ok but Burpees are definitely the best!)
1. Burpee – If you doubt why this move is on the list, than you’ve never done a burpee. This cardiovascular move is sure to make you feel out of breath and work up a sweat.
2. Push Ups (handstand, decline, one foot off the ground) – Be it the basic push up or something as crazy as a handstand push up, this move is one of the best upper body exercises out there! It will also work your abs!
3. 1 leg squats (to bench) – If you don’t have weights, isolating one leg can make your lower body work harder than it would if you did a simple body weight squat. You can start with a squat to chair and then work up to a pistol squat.
4. Dips from chair (with feet up) – If you put your feet up, you will make a
bench chair dip more difficult. This is a great way to work your triceps and can even be done right off of the couch!
5. Balance lunges – Again you are isolating one leg and forcing yourself to use your abs more to balance. Just find something to put your back leg up on and lunge, making sure your front knee doesn’t go beyond your front toe.
6. Climbers (decline or one foot off the ground) – Decline climbers in my opinion are like the best shoulder exercise if you don’t have weights. Your feet are up on a chair or couch and you start on your forearms. Then pushing up you climb up to your hands and then back down. Keep your abs tight and your butt down. Climbers is also a great exercise for your abs!
7. Plank crawl – On your forearms and toes, crawl forward keeping your butt down. Once you crawl across the room, move backwards. You will need to take small steps. Really this is a great exercise for your full body!!! And it definitely kills the shoulders and abs!
8. Jump Squats – Plyometrics of any kind are a great way to get in some cardio and really work the legs!! Plus they don’t require anything but your own body weight. Just make sure to land softly if you live in an apartment!
9. Wall sit – You can read a book or even freaking watch TV while you do this move. All you need is a wall so you can do this about anywhere. To make it more intense, do a 1 leg wall sit.
10. Mountain Climbers – Another great way to get in some cardio, work your abs and burn out your shoulders. When my legs are tired, I also really feel it in my quads.
Runners up: Cocktail lunges, sit ups, jumping jacks, split squat jumps, planks (front and side), glute bridge, supermans,
Riding 17 miles and going for a long run weren’t enough to keep me from struggling through my first two workouts after a nice long, relaxing vacation.
Nope. Those first two workouts back always suck.
You don’t feel as strong AND you feel way more sore than you should the next day.
Yesterday, I decided to push through a back and chest workout. Why bench is definitely not my favorite thing, the worst exercises were definitely the decline push ups, TRX back flyes and decline climbers.
Barbell Flat Bench 5 sets of 3 reps
Pull ups 5 sets of 5
Decline Push Ups 3 sets of 15
1 arm dumbbell row 3 sets of 10 each side
DB Chest Flyes 3 sets of 10
TRX Back Flyes 3 sets of 10
Decline climbers 3 sets of 10
Front to side raises 3 sets of 10
TRX Inverted Rows 3 sets of 10
Tricep pushdown 3 sets of 15
Isolated Bicep curl 3 sets of 10 each side
Cable curl 3 sets of 15
Ab roller 3 sets of 10
So after yesterday I definitely wanted to avoid upper body today. So instead we murdered our legs.
Heavy Back Squats 5 sets of 3
Conventional Deadlift 5 sets of 10
Box Jumps 5 sets of 10
Cocktail Lunges 3 sets of 5 each side
KB Single Leg Squats 3 sets of 8 each side
Romanian Deadlift 3 sets of 10
Sumo Squat 3 sets of 10
And to finish the workout we did plank holds (front plank, side planks and glute bridges).
All in all two very intense first workouts back. Hey might as well dive right back into it right!?!